Sunday, August 13, 2017



I wasn't in a place where I had internet yesterday so I wasn't able to post so here are 3 more progress pics on my drawing, I wanted to include a skull like the Kuksi drawing does, so I chose a turtle. For this drawing the turtles traditionally are a symbol of long life because they live for so long, so I chose to use a turtle to represent endurance, or more finely put, enduring to the end. It's a personal challenge that I have accepted to be connected to God and to endure my life well until the end. I was originally going to go with a more curling filigree motif for this but I decided that I had enough of that going on in the filigree wave so I decided to go the direction of Maori face paint, which was definitely the right choice. I love the way the turtle turned out for this one. Incidentally, the Fleur de Lis is significant in many cultures as a representation for such things as Royalty and the Holy Trinity. I used it here as a representation of both, I believe that we are all children of God, and who is more royal than God? AND endurance in this life can only be achieved if we are connected to a higher power, for me this is my Heavenly Father, his son Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost. So the Fleur de Lis is a very fitting symbol for this part of the drawing. Incidentally, most of my art has deeper meaning like this, not all of it quite so deep, but I often include symbolism because for me, I want my art to have a message, should the viewer be willing to engage my work on a deeper level.

No comments: