Thursday, August 10, 2017



Here is the next stage of the drawing, I added the dark background and started in on the light charcoal look. Remember, this is digital, completely drawn on my iPad Pro with the drawing stylus which as to be one of God's greatest gifts to artists who like to work in digital format, other than the smooth drawing surface which I have adapted to, and the angle of the stylus not perfectly mimicking a good old real pencil, (which I have also adapted to) this iPad and stylus is the closest electronic equivalent to the real thing out there, and I love it.

I wanted to have the ship riding a filigree wave on the turtle's back so here is my personal interpretation of a filigree wave and water droplets. I will experiment with both soft curves and harder angles in this painting, which plays on the dichotomy of Male and Female strengths, that both contrast and compliment each other. (in other words, curls for girls and hard edges and angles for boys, and yet they work together beautifully, just like in a successful marriage).

2 comments:

Dr Mad Fish said...

At the moment I draw directly on a 27" Wacom screen (that I also use for my compter screen) in Photoshop and it works well but I'm going to have to invest in an iPad Pro and the latest Apple pencil soon.

Jeff Goodsell said...

Having used a Wacom pad and an iPad Pro both, I have to say that I prefer the iPad Pro, though, there are some major disadvantages with the iPad Pro, such as the fact that you can only run apps on it, not full programs like photoshop or illustrator. However, the app Procreate is really a fantastic drawing program, much more intuitive for an artist then Photoshop is. It's more limited in what it can do because it's strictly a drawing program. I suppose I'm a bit old school and I love the feeling of holding a pencil and drawing right on the "paper" and I can hold the iPad in my arms as I draw or set it on my desk, whatever works best, and the color and clarity of the on the iPad is second to none, it's really a stunning experience.